Friday, September 15, 2006

Shane T.

I've been thinking of Shane in the last few days. It's because I'm planning to visit New Zealand again and this brings back memories and fears.
I met Shane in Wellington at a Lesbians and Gays in Education conference. Shane was an academic and teacher who was researching anti-gay bullying in schools. He was a friend of a friend of mine, and I'd been told that I'd 'like' this person so there was a bit of match-making going on. After the conference Tom asked me what I thought of Shane and my rather cruel response was that he was too boring for me... Shane and I never got together in that way but we did get to know each other slowly as friends and got into the habit of meeting up once a week, seeing a movie, eating out, talking a lot and doing what friends do - chatting, gossiping, sharing our lives, being supportive through good and bad times. Shane became a close friend and one of the people I knew I'd miss when I left New Zealand to come to London. It was at his place I stayed my last few days in Wellington after packing up my flat, and he took me out to the airport and helped me through the final panic when I discovered my bags were too heavy and I couldn't take them with me on the flight and he organised sending one by freight.
When you're literally half a world away its not always easy to keep in touch with people and like a lot of friends Shane and I kept in touch with emails on and off, but I didn't think too much of it that I hadn't heard from him for a while, some people are better at keeping in touch than others. When I first went back to New Zealand he was on my list to see. There was no response from his home phone number so I rang him at work. I still feel sorry for the receptionist who had to tell me he didn't work there any more and had passed away a few months before. So there I was in an empty borrowed flat all excited at contacting and seeing people and one of the first phone calls I make I find that I'm too late.
A few days later I talked with a flatmate of a friend of mine who'd known Shane. Shane had died of an HIV related condition and I guess although we were close we had a very much one-to-one relationship and no-one had thought to tell me, or thought of me. I was sad of course. I was also sad that in all the time I'd known Shane I'd never known he had HIV. He was stressed a lot, with an academic job that was demanding, under restructure and not very supportive, as well as having family responsibilities particularly with his Dad. But he'd never mentioned the HIV and I felt sad that he hadn't as it felt like that maybe he didn't trust me enough to share something like that with him. I don't know. I never will. I felt I'd not only lost someone who was precious to me but also that there was this huge gap in our relationship that I'd never known about at the time. I felt that in some way maybe I'd let him down. I don't know. I never will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home